Sunday, April 25, 2010

Maybe I should move to Mumbai

Well, I've been playing around with another Indian recipe and I think I've finally got it the way I want it. This may not be exactly the Chicken Korma that you get at an Indian restaurant but it is a version I like. So, since this is after all my blog, you get what I like here.

So, here it is, my version of...

Chicken Korma
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 heaping Tbsp of finely grated fresh ginger
3 cloves of garlic, minced
6 oz container of plain yogurt
1 large onion quartered
1 Tbsp ghee or olive oil
1 Tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric
½ tsp cayenne (may want to use less if you like it milder)
1 tsp garam masala
Chicken broth
2/3 cup coconut milk
Salt to taste
2 heaping Tbsp finely ground almonds
Chopped Coriander(Cilantro) leaves for garnish
juice of 1/2 lemon

Cut the chicken breasts into bite sized chunks. Mix the chicken with the ginger, garlic and yogurt. Cover and marinade in the fridge for 12 hours or overnight.

Process the chopped onion until smooth. Heat the ghee/oil in a pan. Add the ground coriander, cayenne, turmeric and garam masala and stir fry for about 1-minute over a low heat.

Turn up the heat, add the onion stir fry for 10-minutes until it begins to brown. Add the chicken and the marinade and continue to stir fry for another 10-minutes. Add the coconut milk and enough chicken broth to cover the chicken. Bring to a slow simmer and stir in the ground almonds.

Reduce heat to low, cover the pan and simmer until the chicken is tender (30-40 minutes). Remove from the heat, add lemon juice and salt to taste. Stir well. Garnish with chopped coriander.

Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment