Monday, October 19, 2009

Frijoles Negros, out of a can, really?

This is my variation of Cuban black bean soup. Black beans are a part of practically every meal in Cuban cuisine. I remember my Mom making hers and from her recipe comes this one.

If you want to be a  purist, feel free to use a pound of black beans and follow the package instructions to soak them over night and get them ready to cook. Add the beans and 3 cups of water instead of the canned beans.

However, before you do all that, try it with canned beans. Trust me.

A word about canned beans. I usually try to find the "organic" ones because they are made with little if any salt. Regardless, you want black beans NOT black bean soup. The can should contain beans, water and maybe salt. Period.

Frijoles Negros
Olive oil, for sauteing
1/2 white onion, diced
1 medium green pepper, diced (optional)
3 cloves garlic, finelly diced
3 15 oz cans black beans
2 Tbsp ground cumin (or more - to taste)
1 Tbsp oregano (or more - to taste)
1/2 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste

In a sauce pan, saute onions in olive oil until they are translucent. Add the garlic and  green pepper and saute for a couple of minutes. Add the beans, then the cumin, oregano, olive oil, sugar, and vinegar. Stir. Season with salt to taste. Simmer covered for about 15 minutes.

Traditionally served with rice.

3 comments:

  1. Yes. These are the real frijole! Top 'em off with a few pickled jalapeno slices, and YUM! I know, the pickled jalapeno slices probably are not Cuban? that's the Texan touch ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fern,
    I always wait until the beans are done before adding the vinegar at the last minute. If added too soon, the vinegar flavor is cooks out. Bay leaf also adds flavor. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can vouch for this recipe. I have had it prepared by the "Master" himself. I have also made this recipe with my own hands...His hands, of course, make it better. However, this still turns out pretty darn good if you do it yourself using canned beans. As time goes by, you will start to crave these beans. So, just make 'em yourself.

    ReplyDelete